Most households store materials in the garage. These materials may include dead and rotten animals, photographs, old appliances and furniture, spoiled food –you name it. So, if you have accumulated massive amounts of junks and mess, you are not the only one.
Are you bothered by these mess? The following are some of the effective steps on how to organize your garage:
1. Dispose the things that are not reusable or those that will not be used in the future. If you have accumulated a lot of clutter and want to eliminate and properly dispose all your garbage and debris, you can either rent a dumpster and remove them manually, or you can hire a junk removal company to do the work for you. By eliminating unimportant junks and clearing out some spaces, the rest of the garage will be easy to organize.
Item disposal may also mean donating the barely touched and/or reusable items to any charity near your place. Some junk removal companies already do have this as part of their service.
2. Organize your garage into areas or “zones”
As mentioned, your garage may have a clutter of different materials. Most experts recommend to start sorting items and put them in one place or also called “zone”.
You can organize them into the following zone:
- Sports equipment
- Recyclable and reusable things
- Car supplies
In this way, you are easily guided where to look when you need to get an item from your garage. Also, dangerous equipment and tools and/or harmful chemicals need to be properly stored in a locked cabinet away from the reach of the children at home.
Do not limit yourself in just four zones. You can also have an area for your daily/weekly exercise, clothing storage, workbench, or even a home office for yourself.
3. Determine the most efficient garage landscape.
When deciding where to put your things, and the location of the “zones”, consider the frequency of their usage (how often do you use these materials), and the availability of spaces in the garage. For example, recyclable and reusable items must be near the entrance, and your tools need to be near the workbench.
4. Utilize spaces by Installing built-in cabinets
Utilize the vertical spaces by mounting pegboards and wire grids that could hold some tools and small equipment, and the overhead space by having shelves that mount to the ceiling.
To avoid storing a lot of materials in the future, only purchase the right products and only use what you have. This effectively reduces the chances of storing unimportant materials that would become future garbage.
5. Set an organizing schedule and make organizing as frequent as possible.
Organizing your garage items and clearing up some mess will surely provide a sense of fulfillment. Clean and arrange your garage as often as possible. You can have it every week or at least a few times a year.
The most effective way of maintenance is to clean and organize the garage as often as you can to avoid cleaning up big clutter and dirty garage.